Friday, September 5, 2008

My experience@my previous employer

1) Tell me about the most frustrating and hostile individual you have come across in your organization and how did you deal with that individual? Do state some instances.

Ans: While addressing this question I would like to modify the question to answer it in a different way. I didn’t face any frustrating or hostile individual but faced few frustrating and hostile conditions as an individual. In these situations few individuals were involved.

One such situation had happened with me when I was in Chennai. I joined one of a development team in Chennai after completing my training in Hyderabad. I came to Chennai without my consent. Although I was not at all interested to come to Chennai as I was completely accustomed to the City of Perl and many of my friends were in Hyderabad. One day one of the delivery head (USA) took my interview over phone and asked me few technical questions but I answered them wrongly knowingly just to avoid the transfer but I was selected. It was one situation I faced. The transition from one city to another, one comfort zone to another was pathetic. I went to Chennai without any complain in hope of a great technical career.

I reached Chennai; everything was alien to me, the food, the costume, the language, the astronomical auto fair and the work culture. In a nut cell everything was perceived very conservative in beginning. But what to do!! Nothing was in my hand. I joined my new office. But till two months I was not given any work. So I thought my time was simply getting wasted. So I decided to join a coaching institute for my MBA preparation. Then the preparation enthralled me and I engrossed into it deeply. Then the management put me into a testing project for two months although I was taken a training to work in a development project (project based training) in Chennai itself. At that time I used to stay at office late night (morning 4AM, 5AM) and again come back to office by 1PM some days. Before going into the testing project we were told that, obviously by the same delivery head (USA) that we have to work just for 14 days or two weeks. But it was stretched to two months.

Then again after two months I came to the heavenly bench (in s/w company when one doesn’t have any work in the company it is called bench). It was a golden opportunity for me to prepare for CAT after the two month hectic work schedule. Then one day one mail came to me from the same delivery head stating that I have to move to Bangalore to join a project for a client (one of the biggest N/W product manufacturer). The project was awesome but as I was already settled in Chennai and my preparation was in full swing so I was hesitate to move. Then I was assigned a trainer (one module lead in a development project) to train me in 7 days along with one of my colleague. Later I found out why we two were chosen. The reason of both of our selection was we both were IT engineers. He was an IT Engineer and I was a Computer Science Engineer. I took the training but the reluctant to move to Bangalore was slowly developing in me. Then one day I went to meet the delivery head to say him my concern that I don’t want to leave Chennai as I was already settled in Chennai. But even after giving n number of explanations he didn’t agree. And I have to prepare may self mentally for the long term transfer although finally it didn’t happen due to Client-vendor constraints and my good luck. I went to Bangalore after a long time approval from client side (California), i.e. 6 months. And I went to Bangalore to work in the client office only for a few weeks and came back to Chennai. By that time I was well prepared to bell the CAT. During this transition period I gave 20000INR as advance house rent to one of my friends in Bangalore which I get back after a long days (some 9-10) months but 2000INR less.

During these 6 months they put me in the project where I was taking training. There I have a very nice experience working with those guys. But the atmosphere was uncertain always as if I was moving the next day to Bangalore.

Many more things to write but these are few memories I have faced and dealt while working before joining a premier B school in my country.


* One of my friend asked this question to know about my experience while working for her HR project. and this was my reply to her.

No comments: